Wednesday, October 10, 2012

10/10/12

Dear Temple,
I hope this note finds you well and happy. No word on the staffing yet. You usually find out if you're chosen for the child that same day, but there was someone missing from the staffing panel yesterday and they want their opinion before making the final choice. That means my family and the other families have to sweat it out for awhile. The staffing went well. There were twelve people interviewing us which was a little intimidating, but your Aunt Crystal and I are very well spoken and handled it well.
I know you are a mega huge Tom Petty fan (not). I have a chorus to one of his songs running through my head. It's where he sings, 'the waiting is the hardest part.' Waiting is difficult. Especially when what you're waiting for effects the rest of your life. Children are a forever choice. I don't really mind waiting for the panel's answer. Sometimes having to wait for something is good for building character.
It seems like nobody feels like they have to wait for anything anymore. Kids now-a-days with their e-mails, texting devices and hula-hoops. Patience is a lost virtue. I blame the advent of the microwave. That was the turning point.
I'll stop sounding like a crotchety old man now. Thanks for putting up with it.
This morning Elijah worked hard at his homeschooling and then we took a walk for about an hour or so. It was nice being down on main street. The shops were opening up. We got to spend time talking to a few neighbors. Saw our alderman. Exciting stuff.
My 74 Gremlin might be here tomorrow. I'll post pictures. Tonight Elijah had gymnastics so I'll get to finish up Gore Vidal's 'Lincoln' which I've been reading for awhile.
Kind of a scattered letter, but it's kind of a scattered day. Your cousins and I will go about our usual business, but we're all waiting for that phone call. No matter what we're involved in, no matter what today brings at least some of our attention will be on that phone. When it rings I hope it's happy news. Then we'll be happy. If it's sad news - we will be sad. Time will tell. Right now I have kids that are getting ready to go down for their first nap, laundry to do, dishes to put away, dog to wash, floors to sweep and mop, homeschool to orchestrate and a thousand words to write on my novel.
I'll be busy.
I'll also be waiting for that phone to ring.
I love you much and miss you always,
                         Uncle Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment