Monday, October 15, 2012

10/15/12

Dear Temple,
I hope this note finds you well and happy. Today my car is coming - I'm feeling very happy and trepidatious at the same time. I wish I trusted people more than I do. I can't get rid of this feeling that the guy stripped the car before he put in on the shipping truck. It's not a good thing to feel this way. Most of the time people are worried about other people doing things that they themselves would do in the same situation. Don't get me wrong Temple, I am a good person and don't steal from others. Maybe I just need to be a little more positive on a Monday morning.
Anyway, Friday night was spent babysitting our friend's children. Their Dad had a working weekend and Mom had to go to a wedding. Enter Mr. Awesome (me) to look after the kids. Your Aunt Crystal and the boys were there for awhile. We had fun playing outside and got some pizza from Mr. tiny- Greek-hairy pizza guy resturant place. I can't think of the name right now. Boy, Temple, your Uncle is a little tired today. Little Ceasars - that's the place. Good to know Alzheimers is thundering chronologically in my personal direction as we speak.
Everything was good until bedtime. My friends have two delightful girls ages 2 and 4. This is a very fun age until bedtime. Easy for trusted parents who know the routine, hard for trusted parents' dubious friend (me).
The two-year-old was NOT happy about bedtime. She hid in her sister's closet, didn't want to be read a book, didn't want to be sung a song and didn't want to be tucked in. She DID want me to leave her alone - which I did when she was in her own bedroom. I was given explicit instructions to get her daddy right now. Basically, everything I wanted to do to give her comfort didn't provide her with any comfort at all and the one thing she explained would give her comfort, I couldn't give. It's hard to be two. She must have been tired because she went to sleep quickly.
The four-year-old has a strict routine for bedtime. It's pretty easy to follow. Pajama's, teeth brushed, potty, book read, a little television then off to bed. I was feeling like a Rockstar. She wasn't crying, I had this down pat. Both parent's were gone and I was able to get their little girl down with little stress. She climbed into her bed and I covered her up.
"My mommy and daddy sing me a song," she said.
"I can sing you a song," I said. "What is the most special bedtime song that they sing to you?"
"Head, shoulders, knees and toes."
"Really? That's the most special bedtime song?" I said.
"Yes," She said. I sang the song. When I finished I got up to leave when she sat bolt upright in her bed, yelling for me to wait and that I forgot prayers.
"Do you have a special prayer or would you like me to pray for both of us?" I said.
"I have a special prayer," she said. "Repeat after me."
What followed was a lengthly prayer about Jesus, hedges of protection, keeping nightmares away, angels and paragraphs about rainbows. When we were finally done, about 45 minutes later, I got up and left. She was a little sad, but eventually went to sleep.
When her mommy came home later I asked about the prayer. She said everything was correct except for the rainbow part. That whole half-hour section was just an add-on for my benefit. She also explained that there was a little misunderstanding with how the 'hedge of protection so no one can do her harm' part can be worded so that she thinks that the nightmares are inside the hedge and can harm her all they want. This might explain the small bout of crying when I left. Next time I think I'll have them write the prayer down in advance.
I love you much and miss you always,
                       Uncle Justin

2 comments: