Tuesday, October 9, 2012

10/9/12

Dear Temple,
I hope this note finds you well and happy. I got my haircut yesterday. Have to look my best for the staffing today. Can’t go in there looking like a ragamuffin. That would be wrong. Anyway, I asked you Aunt Crystal if she thought I was due for a trim and you know what she said to me? She said, “I don’t know. I don’t know WHAT you have in mind for your hair anymore.
She’s right.
Over the past couple years I’ve done a lot of things different with my hair. That includes growing it out long. Something your Grandma never hesitated to tell me she hated. Her desire for me to cut my hair made me grow it at least another couple inches. That shouldn’t surprise you. I can be a very impertinent and stubborn person.
What I’ve never done is totally shave bald. I’ve thought about it. Sometimes I think about it more than other times. Don’t worry. I got myself a tasteful cut and am looking rather dapper. If I ever did shave it off completely I don’t think your Aunt Crystal would let me in the house and I’ve grown accustomed to sleeping indoors.
I don’t think I have the right head for it either. To look good with a completely shaven head you need the right looking dome. I think my head is too round for it to look good. I bet the skin underneath my raven locks make Elmer’s glue look like burnt umber by comparison. Not good.
The guy who cut my hair was clean shaven on top. That’s what we talked about.
“You look just like my dad, except for the pigment,” I said.
He laughed. “Your dad must be handsome,” He said.
“When did you shave it all off?” I said.
“Awhile ago. I was getting a little thin on top so I just shaved it all off.”
“Did your friends freak out?” I said.
“Yeah,” he said, “But they got used to it. Now they can’t see me any way else.”
“I’ve thought about doing it.”
“Don’t give your wife my number if you do,” he said. “I don’t want to deal with that.”
“No worries,” I said. “I don’t think it’ll ever happen.”
“You’d burn up your scalp anyway,” he said. “I was lucky enough to be going on vacation right after I shaved it off. Soak up a little sun. There’s one thing about it though.”
“What?” I said.
“Your hair soaks up sweat. I have to carry a towel around with me.”
“You’re like a fountain now?” I said.
“Yeah,” he said.
Maybe someday I will do it, Temple. Maybe someday I will shave it all off and see the wonders of my cranium. Maybe not.
I love you much and miss you always,
Uncle Justin                                                                                                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment